Local Working Group Meetings Planned in Lower Elkhorn NRD

Local Working Group Meetings Planned in Lower Elkhorn NRD


STANTON, Nebraska -- A Local Working Group that provides advice on the priorities for many U.S. Department of Agriculture conservation programs will meet Feb. 11, 2021, from 5:30-7p.m. via Zoom.

Zoom Meeting Link can be found below and via the Lower Elkhorn NRD’s website: Connect to Zoom
For audio only, dial:  +1 301 715 8592
Meeting ID: 853 9713 8634
Passcode: 561184

The public is encouraged to attend and express their natural resource concerns. Ideas generated from the public will help the U.S. Department of Agriculture tailor their natural resource programs to meet the needs identified locally. 

There is a Local Working Group in each Natural Resources District (NRD). Membership on the Local Working Group includes Federal, State, county, Tribal or local government representatives according to Robin Sutherland, District Conservationist for the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) whose agency guides the Local Working Group. 

“The Local Working Group recommends to the NRCS State Conservationist how conservation programs like the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP), Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP), or Agricultural Conservation Easement Program (ACEP) would be used most effectively in their area," said Sutherland. "This recommendation can include special target areas, cost-share rates on conservation programs, which conservation practices should have cost assistance, or how many dollars could be needed. This work group allows local input into how Federal dollars are spent." 

Typically, Nebraska NRCS obligates anywhere between $45 million to more than $75 million dollars to farmers and ranchers statewide through NRCS conservation programs. These programs helped landowners and operators make natural resource improvements to their land, water, or wildlife. This funding was allocated according to the priorities set by the Local Working Group.

For more information about the Natural Resources Conservation Service and the programs and services they provide, contact your local USDA Service Center or